Good days and not so good days

As a rule lately, I have been very grateful, and very happy about any small improvement in my condition.

I am very clear that there are many people who are way worse off than I am, and so I am very thankful for all that I have.

And let’s be clear, it is a lot. The fact that my amazing staff run the gym without me there most of the time, is spectacular. I am so lucky that I decided to quit my former career, take a huge risk, mortgage everything to the nuts, and open that gym. It has been over 14 years of hard work, but I am so glad that I made the decision to chase my passion and live my purpose, rather than have a job.

I am also grateful that Hilary’s mom and dad have been so supportive, as have so many of our friends.

This past weekend, Colin and Julie and their 2 kids came over to the house, and in addition to it being great fun for Kaden to play with their kids, the adults got a ton of unpacking done in the basement.  It no longer looks like an abandoned museum of boxes piled in disarray all over the place.  We got a bunch of shelving up and secured to the walls, and got the TV in place, and my bike set up on the trainer, so that soon I can try riding it a little.

The next day, 2 other friends; Sharon and Jay came over from Calgary, and we got even further into putting the basement together. We built a play area for Kaden, and got a bunch of the DVDs up on the shelves, and Jay helped me plug in all of the stereo components and the TV.  Of course we also got to talk a lot, and Sharon had a bad head concussion over a year ago, so she has lots of great information to share.

On Monday nights, Hilary sings with her ladies acappella choir, but I am not capable of taking care of Kaden by myself right now.  I cannot lift him in or out of the tub, I cannot dress him, and if he becomes rambunctious, it is very difficult for me to settle him.  So Hilary’s mom and dad come and stay overnight to help. It is absolutely wonderful.

Today was a tough day physically. I woke up in a lot of pain in my shoulder, ribs and arm and my neck hurts very badly as well.  I worked in my basement office for several hours, but it was just excruciating, in spite of some pain medication. I think part of the challenge, is that I have to lean way forward to speak into the microphone for the voice recognition software when I have to type anything, and it’s not a good position to be in.  I need a better microphone, but that will come later.

My core philosophy with problems is ” great, what are you going to do about it?”  so I booked an appointment with my chiropractor, and booked a massage as well. I could tell that the main source of the pain was just super tight muscles from being in such a bad position for over a month and not exercising either.  I also let my manager at the gym know, that I probably wouldn’t be able to be in today.  Again, I am very grateful that I am able to do that.

I continued to work from home, getting done as much as I could on some marketing and poster design, and then had a nap.

The neck adjustment at the chiropractors, was amazing, I am sure they heard my neck crack in the next building. It felt so much better right away. Hilary had purchased a 45 minute massage at the chiropractors office, back in June for my birthday. I had an appointment with the owner, Peter, and he dug through the ‘steel cables’ in my entire neck region that used to resemble muscles and ligaments.  ow…..  I am not surprised though, it seems I got whiplash at some point, go figure!

I am still in a lot of pain, but I’m sure it will ease off, and I will go to bed early tonight now that Kaden has had his stories and is in bed.

Probably the most exciting news I have to share tonight though, is around my sense of taste.  I had a good discussion with my mother-in-law a while ago about the fact that for the past month everything I eat tastes like what I would imagine is the taste of (and I know this is gross, but I can’t think of anything else) burnt urine mixed with poop.  At first I thought it was something in the food we had left in the house freezer for too long, but Hilary kept trying several different dishes.  When it became clear that whether we went out for supper, out for lunch or made something at home, (and no matter what it contained) it tasted the same, we knew it was me not the food.  Hilary’s mom suggested that anesthesia can remain in the body for a while and cause a disruption in a sense of taste.  I started to notice today at lunch, that things were tasting more normal. At supper tonight, I had some food that had tasted horrible a few days ago, and tasted fairly normal tonight. I am really hoping that my sense of taste is clearing up and improving, and that maybe it is the anesthesia clearing out of my body.

So hopefully tomorrow is a better day in respect to physical pain, and hopefully my tastebuds continued to come back to normal. My ability to concentrate and think continues to improve, and I am very grateful for that.

There seem to be lots of people very excited to be back in the gym, and that is also very good news.

Life is good, and I am looking forward to each improvement as it comes.

Thanks for tuning in.



This article was written by admin